Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) are integral parts of our culture at Edelman. We empower our workforce to bring who they are to the table to help shape cultural movements and moments for the clients we serve.
We see diversity, equity and inclusion as not only morally right, but also critical to our growth and success. We believe that with a team made up of employees from all demographics and with different backgrounds and experiences, we can develop more meaningful campaigns. We want to actively learn from each other, celebrate different perspectives and ensure that everyone is able to fulfil their personal potential and develop freely.
Our organisational values guide everything we do – the relentless pursuit of excellence, freedom to be constantly curious and courage to do the right thing.
As a family business, inclusion is a natural extension of these values. That's why we are committed to creating an open and supportive environment that fosters collaboration, encourages diverse thinking among our employees and partners, and creates a culture that respects and celebrates diversity, equality and inclusion within our agency and across the diverse communities in which our clients operate and we all live.
Diversity, equity and inclusion
We have already achieved a great deal on our journey, creating a working environment where diversity, equity and inclusion are embedded in our culture, behaviour, processes and operations. We want to continue on this path, involving, educating and supporting our employees. To ensure this, we have launched various initiatives, partnerships and forums around the world:
- We have a global DEI Council that helps inform our company-wide strategy and bring it to life in the different regions.
- We have launched various trainings that all employees globally are required to complete in order to have the knowledge and tools to help create a more inclusive work environment and culture. Globally, trainings on unconscious bias and inclusive leadership are in development.
- Our six employee network groups serve as vehicles to build an internal community where employees around the world can share, learn and grow – professionally and personally. These groups are the catalyst that helps our employees build communities within the larger Edelman family.
- We have and will continue to take an active stand and educate on the issue of racism. For example, we have internal discussion groups and workshops, e.g. on systemic racism, to promote dialogue and educate.
In Germany, we already have 16 different nationalities working in Team Edelman. To deepen our commitment to diversity and carry it to the outside world, we have signed the Diversity Charter and have since reconfirmed our promise. By signing it, we have committed ourselves to respecting all employees equally – regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation or identity.
Career Possibilities for Women and the LGBTIQ+ Community
We also work with the largest NGOs in Germany to promote career opportunities for women and the LGBTIQ+ community – and to further diversify our teams and ensure representation:
- MentorMe is Germany's largest professional mentoring programme for women. Edelman sponsors three young women from different ethnic backgrounds and covers all costs for a one-year membership at MentorMe. Each woman is strategically matched with a mentor from one of Germany's top companies and has access to a wealth of activities and training.
- UHLALA is one of the leading LGBTIQ+ social enterprises in Germany, working for equal opportunities and possibilities for LGBTIQ+ people in the world of work. Among other things, Edelman is involved in UHLALA's "Sticks & Stones", Europe's largest LGBTIQ+ job and career fair, which will take place in June 2021.
Declaration “Together against Sexism and Sexual Harassment”
We’re committed to ensuring that every person feels safe at work, and that they have equal opportunities. A clear stance against sexism, sexual harassment and sexual violence in any form is part of a trustworthy atmosphere at work and strong, respectful corporate culture. That’s why we’ve signed the declaration “Together against Sexism and Sexual Harassment”. The message is clear: sexist behaviour, harassment or bullying have no place at Edelman Germany! Any and all instances will be met with swift intervention as a matter of course. We will take any suspicion around this topic extremely seriously and treat it with the upmost sensitivity – sensitivity training is obligatory at Edelman Germany.